Sources of Support

Childline | 0800 1111

Get help and advice about a wide range of issues. Childline is a counselling service for children and young people up to their 19th birthday in the United Kingdom provided by the NSPCC.

Samaritans | 116 123

Samaritans provide emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide.

Children’s Services | 01922 658170

To keep children and young people safe within Walsall and the surrounding area.

Mental Health Support | 0300 555 0262

Dudley and Walsall Mental Health Partnership provides mental health services across Dudley and Walsall.


StarLine, a national telephone advice service for parents has been launched by Star Academies Trust. The service is run by qualified teachers and education and parenting experts from schools, trusts and national organisations. The service states that it is able to offer confidential advice to parents/ carers on academic progress, behaviour management, transition and emotional well being. Telephone calls are charged at local rate and the helpline number is – 0330 313 9162.

Young Minds | 0808 802 5544

Young Minds is the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people’s mental health.

Food Banks | 0121 357 5399 | 07747 301374

The Trussell Trust runs the largest network of foodbanks in the UK, giving emergency food and support to people in crisis.

Family Fund

We help families across the UK who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under. You can apply to Family Fund if:

  • You live in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales (Please note: If you are a family living in Wales, please visit our Wales application pages to apply.)
  • You are the parent or carer of a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 0-17 who lives with you
  • You are currently living in the UK and done so for at least six months, or three months if your child is less than six months old. You are eligible to work and apply for public funds
  • Your child is not in Local Authority care
  • You have evidence of entitlement to any one of the following:
      • Universal Credit
      • Child Tax Credit
      • Working Tax Credit
      • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
      • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
      • Income Support
      • Housing Benefit
      • Pension Credit.
  • Your child or young person has a high level of additional support needs arising from a long term disability or disabling condition or a serious or life limiting illness. By long term we mean lasting or likely to last 12 months or more.  Please read our child and young person eligibility criteria.

You must meet all Family Fund eligibility criteria in order to be considered for a grant.



Come and visit us!

Find out more
We recommend
Useful information